Finally, you have enough time to be a healthier you. 20 minutes to be exact! You don’t have to be in great shape to get started at A Healthier U. Our Whole Body Vibration machines allow you to start gently and progressively increase the stimulation using postures that don’t strain or harm your joints.
Unlike regular exercise, the Whole Body Vibration machine provides most of the movement for you so you get the results of intense exercise without spending as much time or effort. In our 20 minute session you’ll be led through a series of poses and exercises that will be amplified by the stimulation of the machine. The end result is weight loss, improved body mass, energy & strength!
How Whole Body Vibration Works
The vibrating platform moves you up and down, a few millimetres at a time with carrying speeds. As it does this there are three main effects on your body.
1. Increased Gravity
As the platform rises, your body is accelerated upwards. You feel this as a force named G-force where ´G´ stands for ´Gravity´. In other words the machine exposes your body to increased Gravity.
One way your body responds to increased Gravity is by increasing muscle strength and tone.19 Israeli researchers20showed this when they had subjects do 2 minutes of vibration exercise with 23G of Gravity (23 times Earth´s Gravity) three times a week and compared that to a control group doing the same exercises without vibration. After 3 weeks the control group increased strength by 16% – the vibration exercise group increased strength by an incredible 49.8%
2. Rhythmic Movement
The rapid up/down movement with a subsequent increase/decrease of G-force creates waves of movement through the soft tissues of your body. In slow motion you can actually see the skin and muscles ripple like water. This ripple spreads from the point of contact throughout the body.
This increases the flow6 of fluids like blood and lymph which speeds up recovery while helping to keep swelling under control. As these fluids vibrate, heat is generated which quickly warms up your joints and muscles21 making movement easier and more comfortable; similar to having a massage
3. Muscle Reflexes
The platform movement causes repetitive bending and straightening of your joints. As the muscles attached to them quickly stretch it results in strong reflex muscle contractions.22 You´ve seen this happen when someone taps below your knee cap causing your leg to jerk forward.
The heightened nerve and muscle activity results in a number of benefits such as:
· Increased muscle power – power is the ability to generate force quickly and is essential for sports involving sprinting, jumping or power lifting events like Strongman and Cross Fit. The rapid muscle contractions created by vibration training develop increased muscle power. Less time training means more time eating and recovering.2
· Reduced warm-up time – exercising muscles burn up fats and sugars releasing heat. This increase in heat makes movement more comfortable and reduces risk of injury. A good preparation for other activities that can be done quickly.20
· Increased energy – regularly making the muscles do work increases metabolism and stimulates brain activity associated with feeling good. The result is that you not only feel more energetic, you have more energy to do the things you want.18
· Stronger bones – the combination of increased muscle force pulling on bones with the increase in lymph and blood flowing through them results in bones becoming stronger.23
· Better agility – vibration training is well known for increasing balance which when combined with more muscle power makes you more agile.18
· Improved flexibility – 18 sessions of vibration training with 17G resulted in a 58% increase in hamstring flexibility.24Each session took only 3 minutes.